New Nielsen Boosts Radio...
Monday, March 25,
At an unchanged 10-and-a-half hours per week,
U.S. adults kept Radio the number one audio listening source. So says the Nielsen Total Audience Report: Q3 2018.
Despite the continued strength of radio, increases in internet connected devices and app/web smartphone usage are gradually replacing time spent on other sources. Nielsen notes that these shifts in
listening are not surprising with nearly seven out of 10 homes now having access to a streaming SVOD service (A service that gives users unlimited access to a wide range of programs for a monthly
Q3 2018 Weekly Reach Of Audio Among Adults 18+ breaks down in this rank
- Radio: 92%
- Streaming Audio On Smartphone: 45%
- Podcasts: 19%
- Satellite Radio: 16%
- Streaming Audio On Tablet: 13%
Broad reach in radio listening is due for the
most part to out-of-home consuming. Automobiles are where most of the significant listening is done - 65% of all non-home radio use occurs there. That percentage increases to 77% on weekends. Nearly
one-third of non-home listening also occurs at work, where consumers can multitask while they do their jobs...
The Q3 2018 Nielsen Total Audience Report also
showed that adults spent approximately 10 hours and 30 minutes per day connected to media in both 2017 and 2018. They also spent one hour and 44 minutes per day with radio in 2018 - down four minutes
from Q3 of 2017. While video shares are not included in this post (my website is called 'Mel Phillips Radio Views' for a reason), the following platforms were measured, in addition to radio:
- Live + Time Shifted TV
- TV-Connected Devices
- Internet on a computer
- App/Web on a Smartphone
- App/Web on a Tablet
- (All above measurements are available at Nielsen)
- Surprisingly, radio listening is still more than competitive against a boatload of streaming
- Don't invite Google and the Video Game Industry to the same
- Don't invite Netflix and Apple's new TV service to the same
- Apple's new mini-pad looks handsome and is fairly
- Right or wrong, Ocasio-Cortez has become an enemy of the people for her alleged killing
influence over the Amazon HQ deal...
- My final four pick: Duke/Gonzaga/Virginia/Kentucky (picks made before the tournament
- As good as he is, I don't think Mike Trout ($430 million for 12 years) is worth breaking the Los Angeles Angels bank for...
- It only took Levi-Strauss 165 years to figure out they would be better off going
- The Word Police should issue a warrant for the arrest of the people who continue to beat this
phrase to-death: "Doubled-down" which started as a gambling phrase. It is now used in politics ad-nauseum...
- Mike Bloomberg who would make a fine president, used sound reasoning in declining to make a bid
for president in 2020. He feels he wouldn't be able to win and he's too old...